“Eko”, “Lasgidi”, “Lag”, are names often used to refer to Lagos, the largest city in Nigeria and the sub-Saharan Africa. It is highly populated and plays host to most headquarters of companies both locals and multi nationals that operates in Nigeria. In case you will be visiting Lagos soon for the first time and do not know what to expect, well, we have put together 5 things to know before you go to Lagos as a first timer.
- Lagos is the commercial city of Nigeria, hence, it is known to be busy at all time. It has the largest airport in Nigeria (Murtala Muhammed Airport, it has both Local and International wings), which is located in the states capital, Ikeja. Also, the largest tech market (computer village) is also found in the city’s capital.
2. Tourist site attractions. First-time visitors to Lagos should make a pilgrimage to the New Afrika shrine, a monument to the city’s best-known musical ambassador: Afrobeat pioneer, activist, and all-around legend Fela Kuti.
3. You will not beat the traffic. Lagos is Africa’s largest city, and it’s growing rapidly. Epic car logjams (“go-slows”) are an inevitable part of life. Although Lagos state has a capable traffic management agency, sometimes the beast just can’t be tamed—particularly from 6-9 a.m. and 4-10 p.m. You just have to plan ahead.
4. Ask questions. Do not take pride in not asking, especially asking for directions. Lagos has a large road network that if you take a wrong path you could miss your way. For security sake, you could ask “okada” riders as they are very familiar with the roads.
5. Shine your eyes. Lagos is known to be a state for the smart ones. So in all your dealings be smart in order to avoid being duped.
Please like this article and leave a comment below if it has been helpful.